Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Notes from Tuesday study

Paul longs to preach the gospel in Rome. When he finally makes it there, it is because he was arrested in Jerusalem and shipped to Rome to appear before Caesar.

Although these were not the most ideal situations, it brought about good for the gospel (Philippians 1:12) and the word of Christ spread everywhere, even to the praetorian guard (Philippians 1:13), whom he probably would not have been able to preach to had he come to Rome on his own.

When God changes my plans, how do I react? Am I open enough to the will of God that I see the good in my circumstances or do I sit and sulk because things aren't going my way?

Where is my focus? If my focus is on God, I will always see the good, and there will be no time to dwell on the bad.

Paul was unable to control the circumstances of those trying to distress him (Philippians 1:15-20). Yet he could control whether or not he let the instance get him down. He chose to see the good that happened, despite the fact that men's hearts were wrong. Paul recognized that this was something that could get him down (deliverance, vs. 19). He chose to overcome that.

Paul's focus was always on the church. Even though he desired to be with Christ, he also wanted to go on for the sake of the church. Am I willing to put my own desires (even if they focus on Christ) aside for the good of the church?

No comments:

Post a Comment