Sunday, December 16, 2007

Matthew 9:9 - "As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collectors' booth; and He said to him, 'Follow me!' And he got up and followed Him."

Matthew was in the midst of work, in the midst of living his life, when Jesus came and called him. He was not concerned with what his friends would think, or what would happen to his job when he walked out. His earthly status was not as important as his spiritual status.

There are many things I do that I feel are necessary. It is important to have a job, as it is scriptural to be good stewards of our money. I need to work to provide for myself and pay off my debt. But do I rely on my job to allow me to do that or am I relying on the One who provides? If I lose my source of income, would I worry about where my next meal, next car payment will come from? More importantly, would I be willing to leave on my own volition or would it take a circumstance that forces me out? I have been in difficult situations with finances and have trusted in God. But I still have a hard time leaving when God says go.

Matthew had the privilege of having Jesus there and knowing for certain that it was His voice calling him. I must learn to recognize Jesus' voice so that I know when it is He who calls me.

Matthew 9:29 - "It shall be done to you according to your faith."

God answers the prayers of the righteous. The righteous shall live by faith (James 5:16, Romans 1:17). Our faith determines the measure of our blessing. If I have faith only enough to believe I will receive little, little will be given. But If I have faith enough to believe I will receive much, much will be given.

No comments:

Post a Comment